Killer Nerd is a 1991 horror-comedy film released by Troma Entertainment. The film stars Tony Radloff as a nerd that has taken too much harassment and goes nuts, killing those who wronged him.
While Killer Nerd wasn’t initially received well, it became a cult classic and even spawned a sequel, Bride of Killer Nerd. Tony Radloff went on to write American Splendor, which was made into an award-winning film.
Killer Nerd Plot Summary
Harold Kunkle, a nerd, is harassed by punks and is the object of ridicule at work. Enamored of a co-worker, he buys a tape series on how to be cool, summons up his nerve, and goes to the co-worker’s house, only to find her in the clutches of another co-worker. Kunkle goes out on the town but the same punks that harassed him earlier trash him again, but this time something inside him snaps. Read more…
Watch Killer Nerd For Free!
I definitely can’t say that Troma’s Killer Nerd is a good movie, but it’s a fun, weird watch. You can see a preview here.
Killer Nerd Trivia
- The bulk of the cast were theatre students from Kent State University.
- Toby Radloff kept the blow up doll.
- Wayne Alan Harold was being treated for cancer when he made this film.
- Toby Radloff wore a lot of his own clothes.
- Toby Radloff was on a diet when he acted in this movie.
- The film was produced with $12,000 and was frequently rented in major film rental stores.
- A sequel titled Bride of Killer Nerd was released.
- It was filmed in Ravenna, Ohio, with a prosumer grade camcorder.
- A review in VideoHound’s Cult Flicks & Trash Pics said that, along with Killer Nerd, the film “deserves your neglect”.
Support Troma Entertainment
As a huge, lifelong fan, I highly recommend buying Killer Nerd from Troma’s website, TromaDirect.com. Each time we buy their movies, we’re helping independent filmmakers and increase the chances of getting new movies from them.
Former MTV personality Toby Radloff charmed critics and audiences alike in the Academy Award®-nominated American Splendor, and now you can see where he got his cinematic start!
Toby plays Harold Kunkle. King of the nerds. Pushed beyond his meek limits, Harold now seeks bloody retribution throughout these two hilarious and horrifying shockers.
As witty as Revenge of the Nerds! As violent as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre! Killer Nerd has a wide appeal among fans of horror, comedy and cult cinema. And that goes double for Bride of Killer Nerd!
Killer Nerd/Bride of Killer Nerd Special Features:
- No Regional Coding!
- Special epic seven minute Nerd-a-rific introduction by Lloyd Kaufman, Chief Nerd of Troma Entertainment and creator of The Toxic Nerd
- Feature length commentary ON BOTH FEATURES by Toby Radloff and series writer/producer/director Wayne Alan Harold
- Toby and Lloyd nerding around Akron, Ohio
- Music video: “Kick in the Head,” directed by Lloyd Kaufman
- Tromatic trailers and other nerdy goodies!
Other Free Troma Movies
- Troma Tuesday – Beware! Children at Play
- Troma Tuesday – Class of Nuke ‘Em High
- Troma Tuesday – Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.
- Troma Tuesday – Cannibal! The Musical
As always, thanks to Troma Entertainment and Lloyd Kaufman for making these awesome independent movies available to watch for free!